Dominion United Church
February 6, 1961
M.S.A. CHEMOX OXYGEN
OTTAWA STATION 11 RESPONSE BOARD
This Ottawa FIre Department
Log Book dates back to
This "Walking Stick" was
presented to Captain Grison of the "Rideau Company" in Ottawa on the 1st of January 1868.
Little is known about the recipiant of the walking stick.
The annual report from 1868 shows that
A. Grison was the Secretery and Treasurer of the Rideau Company.
There were four fire Companies at the time in Bytown.
Central Hook and ladder Company
These medallions were given to Ottawa Firefighter Stephen Raganald.
He represented Ottawa at the Ontario Firefighter Annual Convention in 1933 and in 1939
To find out more about
go to the biographics page
The Canadian Press out of Kitchener, Ontario shows some heated debates at the 1933 convention.
The Ottawa Citizen from June 15, 1939 shows the list of delicates from the Ottawa Fire Department.
THE FIRE HELMET
This Chieftain Safe-T- Helmet
was popular in the late 70's and well into the 80's.
It was made with a fiberglass compression-molded shell for superior flame and heat resistance, thermal impact cap, ratchet adjustment, and an adjustable headband to fit all S.C.B.A.s.
This helmet was issued to Ottawa FIrefighter Steve O'Neil when he was hired in 1977.
This set of pictures shows Firefighter Steve O'Neil at a fire with a pump tank putting out embers from a mattress fire.
The fire was January 20, 1980 at 1975 St. Laurent Blvd, Ottawa, Ontario.
From the Ottawa Citizen May 2 1947 at Ottawa Fire Station no. 4 1947
From an article
"we were invited to try our hand at the scaling ladders, for the uninitiated, are long wooden poles with a saw-tooth metal hook on the upper end to slide onto a window sill.
The firemen climb them with the aid of re-enforced wooden pegs which protrude from either side.
After watching several of the rookies scramble from window to window, always upwards, we were convinced the tasked was a push over"
This speakers trumpet stands about 53 cm in height and is made of steel, copper and brass. it dates back as early as the 1860's and belong to Richard Devlin. Mr. Devlin was a civill servant when he joined the Lower Town Pump and Ladder Fire Brigade.
He was born in Kingston in 1844 and came to Ottawa with his family when he was a child. Mr. Devlin was the last of the original members of the Lower Town Pump and ladder team when he passed away in 1921 at the age of 74.
This fire mark from the Royal Insurance Company hung high on the exterior wall at 195 Cumberland Street in Ottawa.
The origin of the fire marks can be traced to the seventeenth-century London.
Insurance companies issued a fire mark to every home under their protection. If there was a fire, they paid the volunteer firefighters in proportion to how much of the house or business they saved.
The firefighters worked extra hard when they saw the mark of a company that was known to pay well.